Looking for something a little different?
The reason your here, of course, is great golf! That said, we can't expect you to be wholly consumed with golf while you're in the area so here are just a few of the endless options that will keep you occupied until your next tee time.
Being situated in the mountainous region that we are, hikes of all distances and levels of difficulty can be found throughout the West Kootenay Region. Your best source for all things West Kootenay hiking is, well, the West Kootenay Hiking website! Here are a few of our favourite options within a 1/2 hour drive of Balfour.
- KOKANEE CREEK LOOP - an easy hike, great for families, located 10 minutes from the golf course at the Kokanee Creek Provincial Park
- KOKANEE OLD GROWTH CEDARS - another easy one within Kokanee Creek Provincial Park. Absolutely worth the 11.7 km, well maintained Kokanee Glacier Road
- FLETCHER FALLS - a short drive from Balfour towards Kaslo will bring you to this very short but highly rewarding destination. Check it our in May or June to see the falls at full power!
- PULPIT ROCK - this very popular hike due to its proximity to Nelson won't take you long and will reward you with some fantastic views. Not done yet? Double the distance and double the views by continuing up to the flag pole!
As a golfer, it is safe to say that you enjoy your time spent out doors. It is also safe to say that aside from experiencing a hole in one or jarring a putt on the final green to win a big match, the game doesn't get your adrenaline pumping all that often. Check out these local adventure operations that will quickly get you that fix you're after!
- KOKANEE MOUNTAIN ZIPLINE - Need we say more? They have 6 exhilarating zip lines with the longest measuring 732 meters. Yes, that's right, close to 3/4 of a kilometer in one zip! YEE HAW
- CODY CAVES - you can talk about cave exploration without using the word spelunking, 'cause it's such a great word! Cody Cave Tours offers spelunking for people of all ages with three levels of tour to choose from!
- NELSON WHITE WATER RAFTING - with four distinct trips on offer from heart pumping level 4 rapids to a nice chill river float, Nelson White Water Rafting is your key to your next river adventure.
- PADDLE SPORTS - a favourite past time for locals and visitors alike, canoeing, kayaking or stand up paddle boarding are all great, not too strenuous ways to get a little exercise all while experiencing the beauty of Kootenay Lake. Check out Friend of Balfour, Hellman Canoe & Kayak, where they craft their own highly regarded brand of canoe and offer rentals. Staying in Nelson? Then Nelson Paddle Board & Kayak Rentals is the place to be. Is your trip taking you to Kaslo? Then the Kaslo Kayaking is where you'll want to go!
- FISHING - Kootenay Lake is famous for being home to some of the worlds largest Rainbow Trout as well as several other species of fish. Reel Adventures Fishing Charters are your local experts on all things fishing in the West Kootenay region.
- BEACHES - Kootenay Lake is home to an abundance of beaches. The closest being the Balfour Beach Regional Park. Check out THIS MAP of the park. See that road at the top that continues left from the end of the marked trail? That comes out at the highway just off the left of the map, directly across from the tee area at our driving range! The next closest option which sits high up there on the beach quality scale, can be found at Kokanee Creek Provincial Park.
- AINSWORTH HOT SPRINGS - OK not exactly part of Kootenay Lake but certainly overlooks it, Ainsworth Hotsprings Resort is home to one of the most unique hot springs you'll ever find. It's just 10 minutes from Balfour and they offer Golf & Stay packaging with us!
NELSON & BAKER STREET
FOOD - there are so many great options to fit most any taste, here are a few of our favourites.
- rel-ish Bistro - of course they're first on our list, their food is delicious and their second location is at our golf course!
- Adventure Hotel - Sports Bar, Steak House & Coffee Shop. Need we say more? Yup! They offer Golf & Stay packages with us!
- Cantina del Centro - so very yummy. Watch out for those margaritas!
- Full Circle Cafe - do your taste buds a favour and eat breakfast here at least once during your stay
- Yum Son - Viet-modern cuisine. Delish!
- Marzano - modern Italian cuisine created using traditional methods and simple, authentic recipes.
CRAFT BEER - Nelson is home to three great craft breweries, ideal for a little post round cheer!